1.11.06

It's Cold and Lonely in the Deep Dark Night

(Paradise By the Dashboard Light, Meat Loaf)

Saw 3... What a good movie. I have yet to decide whether I like it as much as the first two... As usual, it was dumbed down... Which I dislike. The first one took you a little while to figure out exactly what happened. I know I personally needed to take a minute, after the movie was finished, and go over it in my mind. (Maybe that's just me, because I'm dumb, though. :P) This one was made based on the assumption that the public are morons. (Is moronic?) I hate it when things are dumbed down. The end of the DaVinci code did that too... But, regardless of the dumbing-down of the ending, it was still pretty good.

**SPOILERS**
I liked the fact that Amanda turned out not to be quite as much of a souless bitch, because she had some emotion. On the other hand, she did turn out to be much more of a souless bitch, because she just killed people, and didn't "play the game." I don't know... Even the "bad guys" have to have some personality, right? There was a lot left unexplained, though. Who was Jigsaw's woman? What's the story there? What was in the envelope? What in the world was the significance of Amanda cutting herself? It seemed really to just be thrown in there for the sake of adding more gore and disturbing imagery. It could have been made clear that she was upset in much more effective ways... and that kind of bothers me. I guess I'm pretty critical about movies... They can't be dumbed down, and it can't have pointless things in it that just feed the public hunger for gore/sex/explosions. Most of the gore in Saw 3 was justified... Though it's hard to imagine where jigsaw comes up with the resources for all of these trials... The manner of the killings just keeps getting more and more elaborate and ridiculous. The rib-ripping thing was a bit much for me.
**END SPOILER**

Overall, definitely worth seeing, if you liked the first ones.

On to more personal, and less analytical things: I went to the movie with a guy I've met here. (Completely platonic, I might add.) Marcy made a snide remark about not getting too scared... Wouldn't want me to start clinging to this other guy. It was a joke, made in good humour, but I know him well enough to know when something is niggling at the back of his mind. (Or, at least I think that I do... I hope so.) Maybe I should stick to group activities. :P

No comments: