11.3.05

I Think I Think Too Much

So, just today, or yesterday, or something like that, (I have little sense of time) I was driving to work, and I started thinking about who I am. In the end I came to a conclusion something akin to "I am just a compilation of other people's qualities." I could come up with nothing, and I mean nothing of myself that wasn't something that I picked up from someone else throughout my life. My general nature can mostly be credited to my parents, in some form or another, combined with the people I knew when I was quite young. I have nothing that I define as myself, only things that are seen in others and mimicked or deliberately avoided. I challenge you to name one quality that is, essentially me, and nothing else. It also occured to me that everyone is the same way... just a collection of memories, experiences, people, and reactions to those things, that makes up who a person is. What creates an initial personality in a person, though? When you are born, do you have a personality? I could suppose that when a child is born, or even developes any form of consciousness, they begin to shape their personality then, based on the events, people and reactions they encounter after that. ...I'm rambling, and making little sense. Time to stop thinking.

1 comment:

Malhavoc Shadowlord said...

Well, aren't we all trying to mimic someone else?

The way I see it... we're on a journey to discover ourselves - who we are, and what we're made of. Since we start off with nothing, we tend to learn from others, taking what we think their best as our own. But, we're not copycats - because we put our own spin, our own "style" to whatever we borrow - and turn it into something of our own.

So, you're right. We all base our lives around someone else.

I guess we're all lazy!

Cheers!
M