27.9.07

You Know It Makes Me Want To Cry [Part II]

(Isn't Love Strange, Moody Blues)

I once got off on a list of songs that can make me cry... I realize that I am obsessed with such songs. Many people are. I wonder what it is about some people, that they just like to make themselves sad? It's the same with sappy chick-movies. My all-time favourite movie is possibly the saddest movie I have ever seen in my life. I have never, not once, sat through that movie without crying at least once. What Dreams May Come, with Robin Williams. I highly recommend this movie to my imaginary audience. (I guess Lee might read this, if I use it for my ed. journals. Whatever. I talk to myself.) Seriously... if you're in the mood for a good cry, sit down and watch this movie.

Anyway, I got off on a tangent. I was going to talk about some really sad songs.

This is my original list. I'll just expand on it a little.


  • Into the West - Annie Lennox
This song is from the soundtrack of the third Lord of the Rings movie. It's a brilliant song, if you know the reference. Annie Lennox just has such a powerful, emotional voice, it really suits this song. It's sung to a dying person, assuring them that they'll meet again, and that the person is safe, and just going to sleep. I can't do it justice by explaining it... The lyrics won't do it a lot of justice either, but it's the best I can do.
Lay down / your sweet and weary head. / Night is falling, / you have come to journey's end. / Sleep now, / and dream of the ones who came before. / They are calling / from across a distant shore. / Why do you weep? / What are these tears upon your face? / Soon you will see / all of your fears will pass away. / Safe in my arms, / you're only sleeping. / What can you see / on the horizon? / Why do the white gulls call? / Across the sea / a pale moon rises. / The ships have come to carry you home, / and all will turn / to silver glass. / A light on the water, / all souls pass. / Hope fades / into the world of night, / through shadows falling / out of memory and time. / Don't say / we have come now to the end. / White shores are calling. / You and I will meet again, / and you'll be here in my arms, / just sleeping. / What can you see / on the horizon? / Why do the white gulls call? / Across the sea / a pale moon rises. / The ships have come to carry you home, / and all will turn / to silver glass. / A light on the water, / grey ships pass / into the West.
Knowing the reference in that one helps a lot. The line "All will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the West" is a sort of quote from the Lord of the Rings. Gandalf is talking to Merry about death and says "No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it... White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise." I just was touched by it.
  • Lips of an Angel - Hinder
Also sad. Not one that would make me cry, though. It's a phone conversation, only hearing one side of the conversation, a guy talking to his ex-girlfriend who has called him late at night, and both saying that they miss each other, and never really moved on, but they can't talk, because they both have someone else, and can't go back. It's kind of sad.
The chorus: It's really good to hear your voice saying my name. / It sounds so sweet / coming from the lips of an angel, / hearing those words, it makes me weak. / And I never want to say goodbye, / but girl you make it hard to be faithful / with the lips of an angel.
  • The Freshman - The Verve Pipe
I had to really think about it before I understood this one, but once I did, I realized it was pretty tragic. It's a guy remembering old relationships, one where the couple either had to get an abortion or get married, and the guilt from that, and the other where the girl killed herself. The first verse is the really meaningful one for me. When I was young I knew everything, / She a punk who never took advice. / Now I'm guilt stricken, sobbing with my head on the floor. / Stop a baby's breath and a shoe full of rice.
  • Jumper - Third Eye Blind
This one is obvious... It's a friend trying to talk a friend out of killing himself. Sad by definition.
I wish you would step back from that ledge, my friend. / You could cut ties with all the lies that you've been living in. / And if you do not want to see me again, I would understand.
  • Try, Try, Try - Smashing Pumpkins
I actually have no idea what this song is actually about. I don't remember. The only time I have ever heard it was while I was watching the music video, which really distracts you from the contents of the song. The only lyrics I actually remember are "try to hold on" because it's repeated a bunch of times. The video, though is absolutely tragic. Youtube it. It's VERY sad. It's about a homeless couple, the girl is pregnant, she ends up selling herself for drug money, shooting up in a bathroom, and having a miscarriage, and being toted off to the hospital. Watch it. It is really, really tragic. This actually happens! This is real life stuff! ...I cried. I am not too big to admit it.
Alright, this is getting really long. I'll discuss the merits of sad songs again some other time. I definitely will, too. I'm thinking really hard about this now.

No comments: